The Tower Temples of Kullu Valley were built primarily as garrisoning stations. As a defensive structure that not only provided a vantage point for safeguarding the village but also served as a storage structure. This tower temple of Chaini is the tallest standing structure of its kind in the entire Western Himalayas. Currently, the Great Tower of Kothi is 45 meters (approx.) tall. This tower survived the devastating 1905 Kangra earthquake, although it lost two of its upper storeys because of the earthquake. A restoration program carried out by the locals helped in the preservation and restoration of this temple. It is believed that this temple was built around the 17th Century by a local King Dhadhu and that’s why this temple is locally known as Dhadhiya Kothi as well. The tower temple stands on a plinth, which is almost 15 meters deep, and is made of locally available stone and deodar wood.
It is located in the Cheni Kothi village at an altitude of 2291 meters and is approachable through a 1-hour trek from the nearest road head.